Car crashes into Mardi Gras parade in Alabama, injuring band members

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — An SUV veered into a crowd of people at a Mardi Gras Day parade on the Gulf Coast of Alabama Tuesday morning, just days after a similar incident occurred in New Orleans.

At least 12 people were injured in the accident, and four of them are in critical condition, according to police.

The driver was a 73-year-old man, police said.

Witnesses told ABC affiliate WPMI-TV in Alabama that his foot slipped off the brake pedal and onto the gas, causing the car to plow into the back of the Gulf Shores High School marching band.

The Gulf Shores Police Department held a press conference on the incident:

“At 10 a.m. this morning a local Gulf Shores youth band in a Mardi Gras parade was entering highway 59 when a vehicle behind them lurched forward and injured 11 members of the band,” spokesperson for the Gulf Shores Police Department, Grant Brown, told reporters.

“Three of the band members are critically injured,” Brown continued. “The vehicle behind the band was part of the parade and it is unknown at this time why the vehicle lurched forward. All 11 children were transported to a local hospital. The children are ‘young teenagers.'”

Unlike the incident in New Orleans, where the driver was intoxicated, police said that they have no indication that the driver had taken drugs or alcohol prior to the accident and do not believe this was an intentional act.

The driver is being interviewed and drug tested on his own volition, police said.

Of the injured, nine were transported to South Baldwin Medical Center in Foley, Alabama, two were taken to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola, Florida and one more was taken to Baptist Hospital, also in Pensacola.

The City of Gulf Shores said they are closing Highway 59 indefinitely, until the police clear the scene. They are requesting that any witnesses or people with photos come forward.

The FBI said they are investigating the incident.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Attorney general talks of sense 'we're in danger' from rising crime

Win McNamee/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) — President Trump’s new attorney general, Jeff Sessions, said Tuesday there is “a sense that we’re in danger” from rising crime.

Crime has been falling for decades in the U.S., but Sessions told a conference of state attorneys general Tuesday morning in Washington, D.C., “Now we are at a time, it seems to me, that crime is going back up again.”

“We’ve done a lot of good. We need to not give up on that progress,” Sessions said to the National Association of Attorneys General in his first major remarks as Justice Department head. “I do not believe that this pop in crime — this increase in crime — is necessarily an aberration, a one-time blip. I’m afraid it represents the beginning of a trend.”

U.S. crime rates “remain near historic lows,” with murder rates half what they were in 1980 and violent crime rates cut by half since the early 1990s, according to Sessions’ prepared remarks for the conference.

“But in the last two years, we’ve seen clear warning signs — like the first gusts of wind before a summer storm — that this progress is now at risk,” the prepared speech said.

FBI statistics show a 3 percent uptick in violent crime and an 11 percent increase in murders from 2014 to 2015, which are the most recent federal numbers on full-year crime rates, the prepared remarks said.

Last month, the FBI released preliminary numbers for the first half of 2016 showing a 5.3 percent increase in violent crime compared with the same period a year earlier.

“These numbers should trouble all of us,” Sessions’ prepared speech said. “We must remember that these data represent real neighborhoods and real people whose safety and lives are at stake.”

The nation’s opioid epidemic is helping to fuel gang violence in cities, with neighborhoods “caught in the crossfire,” the attorney general’s prepared remarks said, and a recent drop in federal prosecutions of gun and drug offenses for contributing to the rise in crime.

“Under my leadership at the Department of Justice, this trend will end,” Sessions’ prepared remarks said. “Our agents and prosecutors will prioritize cases against the most violent offenders and remove them from our streets so they can no longer do us harm.”

The prepared speech also expressed concern “that something is changing in policing,” with officers “becoming more cautious” in “this age of viral videos and targeted killings of police.”

“Unfortunately, in recent years law enforcement as a whole has been unfairly maligned and blamed for the unacceptable deeds of a few bad actors,” the prepared remarks said.

Consequently, officers are “more reluctant to get out of their squad cars and do the hard but necessary work of up-close policing that builds trust and prevents violent crime,” the prepared speech said.

In the prepared remarks, Sessions announced the formation of a Justice Department task force to “make sure we’re collecting good crime data” and to help reduce crime across the country. It will include senior-level representatives of the FBI, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the U.S. Marshals Service, and the bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Trump responds to father of Navy SEAL killed in Yemen raid

ABC News(NEW YORK) — President Trump responded to the father calling for an investigation of his Navy SEAL son’s death in a Yemen military raid, expressing sympathy for the service member’s family but defending the mission as one “that started before I got here.”

“This was something that they were looking at for a long time doing,” the president said in an interview with Fox & Friends that aired Tuesday morning. “And according to Gen. [James] Mattis it was a very successful mission. They got tremendous amounts of information.”

“This was a mission that started before I got here,” Trump said.

The January raid in Yemen resulted in the death of Navy SEAL William “Ryan” Owens, 36, and injuries to three other Navy SEALS. Fourteen militants were killed in the raid. U.S. Central Command also said in early February that “civilian noncombatants likely were killed,” and that may have included children.

Owens’ father, Bill, told the Miami Herald in a recent interview that he did not want to meet Trump when the president attended Owens’ dignified transfer at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Feb. 1.

“I told them I didn’t want to make a scene about it, but my conscience wouldn’t let me talk to him,” Bill Owens told the Florida newspaper on Friday.

The father also called for an investigation into his son’s death and additionally said he was troubled by Trump’s treatment of the Khans, a Gold Star family of a Muslim soldier killed in Iraq.

Trump said Tuesday, “I was at the airport when the casket came in, the body came in and it was a very sad with the family and it’s a great family – incredible wife and children. I met most of the family,” Trump recalled in the interview with Fox News.

“And I can understand people saying that. I would feel — I would feel what’s worse? There is nothing worse,” Trump said.

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said during Monday’s press briefing that the administration continues to be “very comfortable” with the Yemen raid.

“We’re very comfortable with how the mission was executed and, you know, we’ll let the Department of Defense go through that review process,” Spicer said.

Spicer added there will be a three-pronged investigation done by the Department of Defense.

U.S. Central Command confirmed Sunday that there is what is called a 15-6 investigation underway into Owen’s death, which is standard for the death of any deployed U.S. military service member. U.S. Central Command is also conducting a review known as a credibility assessment into civilian casualties during the raid.

The president in the Fox News interview on Tuesday went after Arizona Sen. John McCain for his criticism of the Yemen mission.

“I felt badly when a young man dies, and John McCain said that was a failed mission,” Trump said. “I thought it was inappropriate that he goes to foreign soil and he criticizes our government.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

At least three dead after small plane crashes into California homes

KABC-TV(RIVERSIDE, Calif.) — At least three people were killed and two were hospitalized after a small plane crashed into two homes in Riverside, California, according to officials.

The injured victims, both adults in their 30s and 40s, were transported to separate hospitals and are listed in critical condition, Riverside Fire Chief Michael Moore said in a press statement.

The National Transportation Safety Board will continue its search and investigation later on Tuesday, More said. The were no residents killed in the accident.

The Federal Aviation Administration said the Cessna 310 crashed under unknown circumstances about a half-mile northeast of Riverside Municipal Airport. The plane was headed to San Jose from Riverside, according to the FAA.

The people on board the plane were coming from a cheer conference at Disneyland, Moore said.

Shannon Flores, a teacher at a nearby school in Riverside, told KABC-TV she and her students saw the plane from their building.

“It was just flying very, very low,” she said. “We knew it shouldn’t have been flying that low and that it was definitely going down.”

ABC Breaking News | Latest News Videos

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Murder suspect mistakenly released from Chicago jail

Cook County Sheriff’s Office(CHICAGO) — Illinois police are searching for a murder suspect that was mistakenly released from state custody, officials said Monday.

Garrett Glover, 29, was released from the Illinois Department of Corrections on Monday after being sentenced in connection to an attempted armed robbery case, Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart’s office said in a statement.

Authorities determined on Friday that he had already served enough time to be eligible for parole in that case and he was released.

Instead, he should have been returned to the Cook County Jail in Chicago as he awaits trial in a murder case, which is unrelated to the armed robbery charges, the Sheriff’s office said.

Glover was charged with murder in the Sept. 5, 2012, shooting of Larry Porter, 25, who had just become a father that day, according to ABC News affiliate WLS-TV, which spoke with sources close to the victim.

“It’s crazy because when the baby grows up, he’s gonna have to say, ‘My daddy died the same day I was born,'” Robert Staples, a friend of Porter’s, told WLS-TV on Tuesday.

The Sheriff’s Office said it is “investigating the circumstances surrounding his release,” according to the statement.

Glover set to appear in court in April for a hearing in the murder case, according to WLS-TV.

Aiding a fugitive is a felony punishable by as many as three years in prison, police warned, asking that anyone with information connected to the case call 773-674-0169.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Report: Lady Gaga steps in for Beyoncé at Coachella

Kevin Mazur/WireImageLady Gaga will replace Beyoncé at Coachella this year, according to Billboard.

Queen Bey was forced to back out of her April 15 and 22 performances at the annual festival in Indio, California, because she’s expecting twins and will likely be well into the third trimester of her pregnancy by then.

A statement posted to Coachella’s Facebook page last week said Beyoncé dropped out “Following the advice of her doctors to keep a less rigorous schedule in the coming months.”  However, the statement confirms that the mommy-to-be will be a headliner at the festival in 2018.

Gaga will play both dates at Empire Polo Grounds, effectively giving fans a preview of her Joanne World Tour, which kicks off August 1.  

Coachella organizers will make the official announcement about Gaga in the next few days, reports Billboard.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved. 

Too good: Rihanna's Clara Lionel Foundation set to partner with global fashion brand Dior

Getty Images via ABCRihanna, in part thanks to her Clara Lionel Foundation, recently won Harvard University’s Humanitarian of the Year award and now the artist’s organization is pairing with French luxury goods company Dior in an enviable fashion-forward partnership.  

Billboard reports that Dior will donate a percentage of every sale of their “We Should All Be Feminists” T-shirt to RiRi’s nonprofit.  

Fans of both Rih and Dior can buy the shirt in Dior boutiques worldwide and via the brand’s website, Dior.com, until May 15.  

It will also be available on Saks Fifth Avenue’s website, Saks.com, in an exclusive black version between March 14 to March 28. 

Rihanna first sported the shirt on her Instagram page last month. The Clara Lionel Foundation was created in 2012 by the superstar to support and develop world-class educational programs in her home country of Barbados and other countries. 

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Can't Stop the JT! Justin Timberlake will be back for “Trolls 2” in 2020

Courtesy Dreamworks AnimationJustin Timberlake didn’t win an Oscar on Sunday for the song he wrote for Trolls, but maybe he’ll get another chance when Trolls 2 hits theaters.

Dreamworks Animation announced Tuesday that the sequel to the animated film will be in theaters April 10, 2020.  Justin will be back as Branch, while Anna Kendrick will return as Poppy.  It’s not know if Justin will be the executive producer of the movie’s soundtrack, as he was with Trolls, but it’s hard to believe he won’t create some kind of music for the film.

Between then and now, Justin will no doubt appear in additional movies and release new music — we hope.  Right now, he’s scheduled to appear in a Woody Allen movie called Wonder Wheel at some point later this year.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Oscars Boost Music Sales for Justin Timberlake, Sara Bareilles & More

ABC/Eddy ChenWe have yet to see how the Academy Awards will affect the box office receipts for the winning films, but we know that the music performed on Sunday night’s telecast experienced a major boost in sales.

According to Nielsen Music, the songs performed on the show experienced an across-the-board sales average increase of more than 200%.  For example, sales of Justin Timberlake‘s “Can’t Stop the Feeling!” from Trolls increased 188% from Saturday to Sunday, while the Bill Withers hit “Lovely Day,” which JT included in his version of the song, saw an increase of more than 700%.

John Legend‘s performance of the Oscar-winning La La Land song “City of Stars” increased by 260%, while sales of the other song he performed from the movie, “Audition,” increased more than 400%.

Lin-Manuel Miranda and Auli’i Cravalho [owl-ee-EE Crah-VALL-yo] sang the nominated tune “How Far I’ll Go” from the Moana soundtrack, and sales of that song increased by 52%  But Sting’s performance of his nominated song “Empty Chair” resulted in an increase of an amazing 5400%.

Sara Bareilles performed “Both Sides Now” during the In Memoriam segment.  The Joni Mitchell-penned tune, made famous by Judy Collins, saw a sales increase of 3400%.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

 

James Corden's dream “Carpool Karaoke” list: Streisand, Swift, Smith & More

Craig Sugden/CBSAt this point, James Corden has welcomed some of the world’s top artists to his “Carpool Karaoke” bit, including Adele, Elton John, Lady Gaga, Jennifer Lopez, Rod Stewart, Mariah Carey and Justin Bieber, not to mention former first lady Michelle Obama.  But of course, Corden has a list of artists he’d still like to see sitting next to him in the front seat.

Speaking to ET Canada, James listed Beyonce, U2, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith as on his hit list, as well as Barbra Streisand.  Of course, some of those artists haven’t released new music since “Carpool Karaoke” became a thing, so it’s only a matter of time before they do it.  In fact, Ed Sheeran — who’s about to release his new album — was spotted filming an upcoming episode.

As for who he wouldn’t want on the show, Corden says, ““Who would we not invite? Well, that would be unkind to say, but our rules are that they have to have a lot of hits and I have to be a fan!”

Corden’s “Carpool Karaoke” segment with Adele was the most-watched video on YouTube last year.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.